There are many important reasons to be safe at home especially when using the stairs. What are some things to keep in mind when considering staircase safety?
- Avoid distractions while using the stairs. Talking or texting on a cell phone or another device can easily cause one to slip and fall.
- Use the handrail it’s there for that reason. It gives you extra security and safety to help you navigate the stairs safely.
- Consider using a stair gate. This is especially practical for young children toddlers and even for the elderly. It will serve as a guard against falling up or down the stairs.
- Don’t underestimate the power of proper lighting. When the staircase is lighted well whether it’s during the day or night it helps guide the path so that we’re able to successfully tackle the stairs without a fall. If there is an electricity plug along the staircase, you might consider adding a nightlight to prevent falls and contribute to staircase safety.
- Don’t use the stairs for storage. Small items along the stairs can become a hazard when were using the stairs. So make sure the stairs are free of clutter and other possible items that we could trip and fall over
In conclusion, don’t ever estimate the power of the staircase at home. Respect it, use it wisely and remember the tips listed above to prevent slip and falls.