Tornadoes can happen anywhere in the United States. They can both destroy buildings and cause much harm. Here are some tornado tips you must know to keep your loved ones safe in the event of a tornado warning or watch.
- Know the difference between a tornado warning and a tornado watch. A tornado warning means weather radar has spotted one. But a tornado watch means there’s the possibility of a tornado in the area.
- Have an emergency supply kit. Make sure your emergency kit has all of the essentials. Go online before preparing your kit, for a checklist of what you need. Make sure your kit is easily assessable and left in a place known to everyone in the family.
- Designate a safe place at home. Plan for where your family should go during a tornado. The lowest floors are the best option at home.
- Outside shelter. Find low lying ground if you are outside. Ditches and flat areas on the ground should be located if you are outdoors.
- Make finding shelter a priority if you find yourself outside. Pullover to an area clear of trees, bridges, etc.
- Have a backup plan. If you’re unable to get to your planned safe location be sure to have a backup plan of where to meet.
- Stay tuned in. Be sure to listen to local news and check for updates on your phone for information and instructions about safety during a tornado.
Staying safe during a tornado comes down to preparation and common sense. Follow these tips to prevent harm to you and your family.